Prepare the classic French cookies: Gluten-free laungues de chat. A simple recipe with only 4 ingredients that’s also ideal if you use a lot of beaten egg whites
Don’t you often find that when you’re making a recipe, you only use the yolks, but what do you do with the rest of the egg whites? If you don’t know what to do with the egg whites, this recipe is perfect for you. For these cookies we use egg whites with a little sugar, flour and a little butter.
If you don’t want to use butter, you can replace it with margarine or oil (I personally haven’t tried it yet, but if you want to make this recipe without dairy, you can give it a try and then let me know if it works for you 😉
TIPS for the best Gluten-free laungues de chat
A few little tips and tricks to make these delicious cookies
- Ingredients at room temperature
For best results, use the eggs and butter at room temperature (take them out of the fridge a while before).
- Form the cookies with a piping bag.
You can draw some lines on parchment paper to make them all the same size. The marks will help you to shape the cookies the same size with the piping bag.
- Use only the egg white This way the cookies will be extra crispy.
- Stir in the egg whites and flour in portions as you mix all the ingredients together.
With the yolks left over from the cookies, you can make a delicious vanilla ice cream like this one. Click here to see the recipe
How to make these Gluten-free laungues de chat
All the ingredients to bake these french cookies
- Room temperature eggs: for this recipe, we only use the egg whites. But, you can use the yolks and make a delicious homemade vanilla ice cream or carbonara sauce.
- Powdered Sugar. I used homemade powdered sugar, which is much cheaper. To make it, just grind the sugar in a Ninja or Thermomix-style blender or food processor until it turns to powder. You can also use powdered sugar from the supermarket or regular white sugar.
- Butter. The one I used is lactose-free, but you can also use regular butter or margarine. If you use margarine, the cookies probably won’t be very crispy on the outside (they may get a little soft).
- Rice flour. To make the cookies gluten-free, I used rice flour. If you want to mix gluten-free flours, I recommend mixing rice flour with corn flour. If you want to make the cookies with gluten, you can use all-purpose flour.
- Vanilla essence or honey
Use the egg whites from another recipe and prepare these cookies.
Tip: Always use room temperature ingredients, especially the butter.
Step by step to make these Gluten-free laungues de chat
It’s quite easy to make these Gluten-free laungues de chat cookies. You just need to mix 4 ingredients: Butter, flour, sugar and egg whites.
First, separate the egg whites from the yolks in a bowl. Save the yolks to make another recipe (for example, a carbonara sauce or vanilla ice cream).
Cut the butter into small pieces and put them in a bowl. Add the powdered sugar and beat the butter and sugar very well until they form a cream.
When you get a creamy mixture and the butter is well incorporated, add the egg whites and flour in portions so that everything is well incorporated. Add first half of the egg whites, stir and once the egg whites are incorporated, add half of the rice flour. Stir well and once the flour is incorporated, add the remaining beaten egg whites. Continue stirring and stir in the rest of the flour.
To get beautiful cat tongues, I’ll tell you a trick
Pour the batter into a piping bag and let it sit in the fridge for about 15-40 minutes (or until you see that the batter is chilled and not so runny anymore).
Place the baking paper on a baking sheet and use a pencil to draw small separation and length marks so that all your cookies are the same length and size.
Preheat the oven to about 180ºC (this is very important so that the cookies get crispy and don’t expand quickly and lose their shape).
Take the dough out of the fridge and form small cookie strips, following the marks on the paper. Bake the cookies for 10 minutes at 180ºC or until you see that the cookies are golden brown.
Take them out of the oven and let them cool on a wire rack.
Can I freeze the cookie dough?
Yes, you can freeze raw cookie dough into balls. To do this, use an ice cream scoop and form balls of the same size. To bake them, simply remove them from the oven, preheat the oven and bake them for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
You can also freeze them already baked, the truth is that this recipe is designed to have a large amount of cookies and freeze them. You can freeze them already baked and take them at any time but once thawed they lose a little texture and are not so crispy.
Can I use egg yolks?
No, to make these cookies crispy we only use the egg whites, if you don’t know what to do with the yolks you can prepare a carbonara sauce or this vanilla ice cream recipe.
Prepare a delicious vanilla ice cream with the leftover egg yolks. Recipe here!
If I don’t want so many cookies, what quantities should I use?
To prepare fewer cookies you can use these quantities:
- 75 g butter
- 100 g powdered sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 100 g rice flour
Can the vanilla essence be omitted or substituted?
Yes, you can omit the vanilla essence or use vanilla sugar, honey or a little cinnamon instead.
To make these cookies dairy-free, you can use margarine or coconut oil.
Find more sweet recipes
- Vegan gluten free banana bread
- Chocolate chip cookies gluten free recipe
- Sourdough banana bread (gluten-free recipe)
- Gluten-free zucchini bread
- Glutn-free oatmeal cookies
- Gluten free cookies with nuts
- Glutenfree caramel and chocolate bars
- Gluten-free Sourdough lemon cake