Delicious gluten free chocolate cake, perfect for a birthday. Enjoy a delicious homemade cake, gluten free and with few ingredients.
If you’re celebrating a birthday and need a gluten free cake or dessert, you have to try this recipe. This gluten free chocolate cake is super fluffy and delicious.
Baking a gluten-free birthday cake is easier than you think. You just need to use a gluten-free flour and follow some of my tips to make the batter rise (because making a gluten-free cake fluffy and rise well is a little more difficult).
TIPS for the best gluten-free chocolate cake
Some tips to get an extra fluffy gluten-free cake
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form
To get a fluffy batter, it’s very important to beat the egg whites together with the sugar and a pinch of salt. If you beat it until stiff, you’ll get an extra fluffy cake.
- Baking time
To make the chocolate sponge fluffy and slightly moist, control the baking time, don’t bake it for too long. If you overdo bake, it’ll be a little too dry.
- Coconut and currant syrup
When baking, adding some extras give a cake the perfect flavor. To give it a delicious and slightly sweet touch, you can use coconut syrup, currant syrup or vanilla essence.
How to make this gluten-free chocolate cake
All the ingredients for baking the best gluten-free cake
- Chocolate. To prepare a good chocolate cake, you can’t miss the classic chocolate bar to melt. A chocolate with at least 70% cocoa content is perfect for this cake.
- Eggs. You’ll need a lot of eggs for this fluffy chocolate cake. The key to a very fluffy cake is to beat the egg whites until stiff. This gives the batter plenty of air and makes it fluffy.
- White sugar. I won’t deny it, you need a lot of white sugar for this recipe. It’s not a healthy recipe because the amount of sugar is high (compared to other of my recipes) BUT IT’S WORTH IT FOR A SPECIAL OCCASION.
- Vanilla extract, cinnamon powder, coconut syrup, and currant syrup. To add a special flavor to your cake, don’t forget to these ingredients to the mix. They aren’t absolutely necessary, but I assure you that they’ll add more flavor to the cake.
- Gluten-free flour. I used brown rice flour, but any gluten-free flour will do. If you want to make this recipe with gluten, you can use all-purpose flour.
- Yeast or baking powder and baking soda. These two ingredients will make the cake rise nicely.
- Butter. I used lactose-free butter, but you can also use regular butter. If you don’t want to add butter, you can use sunflower oil or mild olive oil.
- A pinch of salt to whipping the egg whites.
- Powder sugar, cream, or pastry cream to decorate the cake.
Decorate the cake with cream to make it delicious.
Tip: If you use a cake pan with a larger diameter, the cake will take less time to bake.
Step by step to prepare this chocolate cake.
The preparation of this cake is very simple: first, separate the egg whites from the yolks.
Put the 6 egg yolks in a bowl together with 135 g of white sugar. Beat them with an electric mixer for about 5 minutes until the dough rises and takes on a whitish color. Add the softened butter and beat until a cream is formed.
Melt the chocolate. You can melt the chocolate in a water bath or in the microwave.
Add the vanilla essence, coconut syrup, currant syrup, a pinch of salt flakes and the melted chocolate to the batter. Stir everything well and add the flour and the packet of baking powder. Continue beating and set the dough aside.
*You can incorporate the sifted flour to avoid lumps and get a fluffier dough.
In another bowl, beat the 6 egg whites with a pinch of fine salt and 100 g of powdered sugar or white sugar until stiff peaks form. I beat the egg whites with the Thermomix, but you can also beat them with an electric mixer or by hand.
Pour the beaten egg whites into the other bowl and stir them in very, very slowly with a spatula. Mix gently until everything is combined.
Pour the batter into a cake pan. You can use a round or rectangular cake pan. Bake the cake in the lower part of the oven at 170ºC-180ºC for 30-35 minutes. If you find that the cake isn’t baked all the way through, bake it for a few more minutes or you can also lift the cake up and place it in the middle of the oven.
Decorate the cake with some powdered sugar, cream, or whipped cream and you’re done.
Can the cake be frozen?
Yes, you can freeze it very well. I recommend not freezing it raw, but already baked.
Can the vanilla essence be substituted with another ingredient?
Yes, you can replace it with vanilla sugar.
If you want to bake the cake WITH GLUTEN you can use all-purpose flour.
Are coconut and currant syrup necessary?
They aren’t an essential ingredient, it’s completely optional, but it adds flavor to the cake.
Can the egg be substituted?
No, the egg is very important in this recipe. The egg makes the cake fluffy and high.
Beat the egg whites until stiff to make a very fluffy cake.
Find more sweet recipes
- Vegan gluten free banana bread
- Chocolate chip cookies gluten free recipe
- Sourdough banana bread (gluten-free recipe)
- Gluten-free zucchini bread
- Glutn-free oatmeal cookies
- Gluten free cookies with nuts
- Glutenfree caramel and chocolate bars
- Gluten-free Sourdough lemon cake