Easy Gluten free cheesecake bars recipe with a thin layer of caramel and nuts. Simple recipe for gluten free cheesecake bars with a gluten free cookie base and a filling of lactose-free cream cheese.
This recipe is very similar to my No-bake gluten free cheesecake but this Gluten free cheesecake bars are perfect to keep in the freezer and take the bars out when needed.
I love having ready-made desserts in the freezer for when I don’t have time to cook, or when guests are coming over and I don’t have time to prepare a dessert.
The bars freeze very well and defrost fairly quickly. In addition, the taste and consistency are very well preserved.
You can decorate the bars with the nuts of your choice. This time I used a mix of pecans, walnuts, and Brazil nuts, but you can also use almonds, hazelnuts or whatever you like!
TIPS for the best Gluten free cheesecake bars recipe
Here are some tips to make delicious gluten free cheesecake bars.
- Pecan nuts
They’re the perfect touch for the cheesecake. Not only are great for decore, but they’re delicious. This type of nut combines very well with the graham craker base and the caramel.
- Homemade graham crackers
If you don’t want to use the oven, you can buy graham crackers, but the best way is to make them yourself at home. The result is incredibly amazing.
- Homemade caramel sauce
Don’t buy it, make it yourself. The caramel sauce is the sweet touch of this cheesecake. It’s best to make it yourself, it’s simply delicious. If you don’t want to make it too complicated, you can make it with the Thermomix.
Look how easy it’s to prepare this no-bake Gluten free cheesecake bars recipe
How to make Gluten free cheesecake bars recipe
All the ingredients to make these Gluten free cheesecake bars recipe
For the bottom of the Cheesecake Bars, you can use graham crackers (homemade or purchased) or make your own cookie base from scratch.
If you want to make the graham cracker base yourself, you’ll need:
- A gluten-free flour blend. I used white rice flour and corn flour. You can substitute the corn flour and use other flour such as: rice flour, oat flour, or almond flour.
- Brown sugar and honey to sweeten the base. You can substitute brown sugar for white sugar. I don’t recommend you substitute honey, because honey gives a special flavor to the base.
- Butter. I used lactose-free butter, but you can also use regular cow’s milk butter.
- Cinnamon powder to flavor the base.
If you don’t want to turn on the oven, you can also make the base with graham crackers (homemade or store bought).
Nuts. You can use almonds or any type of nuts you want. I used a mixture of pecans, regular walnuts, Brazilian walnuts, and hazelnuts. You can also use just one type of nut, I used a mix of walnuts because I love them.
For the cream cheese you will only need 5 ingredients
- Philadelphia cream cheese. I used the Philadelphia lactose free cream cheese. If you want a no-bake gluten free cheesecake you can’t substitute or replace this kind of cheese. Philadelphia type of cheese makes a great and dense texture to the cheesecake.
- Cream. You can use whipping cream (it’s ideal). In my case, I didn’t find any lactose-free whipped cream and I used lactose-free cooking cream (-30% fat) . If you have whipping cream with more than 30% fat within reach, use it, it’ll be much better and you’ll be able to whip it very well.
- Vanilla sugar. You could also use vanilla extract, but the downside is that it’ll change the color of the cream cheese a bit (and make it a bit darker). If you want the cream cheese filling to be all white, use vanilla sugar.
- Powdered sugar. It’s important to use powdered sugar instead of regular white sugar. You don’t need to buy powdered sugar, you can grind the white sugar in a thermomix or a ninja blender until it becomes powder. This way you won’t notice the sugar in the cream cheese.
- Powdered gelatin or gelatin sheets. To hold the cheesecake together, you’ll need some gelatin. I used powdered gelatin, but it’s much better to use gelatin sheets (you need to hydrate in water before adding to the cream) and you’ll get a denser and more cohesive cream cheese.
For the caramel sauce you will need white sugar, water, lemon juice, butter and cream.
I used lactose free cream for cooking. However, it is ideal to use regular whipping cream.
I always use the same caramel sauce for desserts that I make in the Thermomix and it’s super good. If you don’t have a Thermomix, you can also prepare it in a saucepan on the stove.
The pecan nuts go very well with the caramel sauce.
Step by step to make Gluten free cheesecake bars
To prepare these cheesecake bars, you first need to prepare the cookie base.
If you don’t want to turn on the oven, you can use store-bought or pre-made graham crackers the day before.
If you don’t have graham crackers, you’ll have to make the cookie base yourself: Put the rice flour, corn flour, sugar, butter, honey, a pinch of cinnamon and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Mix well until all the ingredients are well combined.
Once you have prepared the cookie mix, place a piece of parchment paper in a square or rectangular baking dish and pour the cookie dough into it. Spread the dough in the pan and flatten it with your hands until you have a smooth bottom.
Preheat the oven to 180ºC and bake the cookie base for 12 minutes or until you see that the base is golden brown and ready.
When the base is golden brown, take it out of the oven and let it cool completely.
While the base is cooling, prepare the cream cheese filling.
Put the cream, cream cheese, sugar and gelatin in a bowl. Mix until everything is combined and let it resst in the fridge for an hour.
It is important that the cream cheese and cookie base are cold when it is time to assemble the bars.
Once the cream cheese and cookie base are cold. Pour the cream cheese over the cookie base. Spread the cream well in the mold and let it sit in the refrigerator again for a few hours until it is well set.
In the meantime, prepare the caramel sauce. You can easily prepare it in the Thermomix TM6 according to its recipe: “Caramel sauce”.
- To prepare the caramel sauce in the Thermomix, first put 250 g white sugar, 30 g water, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 30 g butter and 70 g cream (I used lactose-free cream and butter) in the mixer/mixing bowl. Start the sugar points program (it usually takes about 26 minutes).
- Add 170 g of cream and stir, without using the measuring cup, for 2 minutes at spoon speed. And again for 3 minutes in the Varoma on speed 2.
- Pour the caramel sauce into a container to temper.
If you don’t have a Thermomix, you can also make the caramel sauce in a saucepan.
To do this, put a saucepan on low heat, add 250 g white sugar, 30 g water, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 30 g butter and 70 g cream. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes. Once the caramel is darker and smells like caramel, you can remove the pan from the heat. Add the remaining cream and a pinch of salt. Keep stirring for a few more minutes.
Let the caramel sauce sit until it cools.
Once chilled, pour the sauce over the cream cheese and spread it well.
To chop the nuts, you can use two methods:
- Chop the nuts on a cutting board with a knife.
- Or you can also use a plastic bag, put all the nuts in it, close the bag and crush the nuts with the help of a rolling pin.
Take the “square cake” out of the fridge and pour the caramel sauce over it. Decorate it with the chopped nuts.
Let the cake rest in the refrigerator until you see that it is cold.
Once the cake is cold, you can remove it from the mold and cut it into the shape of a barrel.
Can the bars be frozen?
Yes, you can freeze them. Take them out of the freezer 10-20 minutes before serving.
Can the vanilla sugar be substituted with another ingredient?
The vanilla sugar is completely optional in this recipe, it just adds a little flavor to the cream cheese. You can substitute it with vanilla extract. But if you use vanilla extract it can change a little bit the colour of your cream.
If I want to make the cookie base without using the oven, what kind of cookies do I need for the base?
It’s best to use store-bought graham crackers or graham crackers made the day before.
If you don’t have graham crackers, you can also use butter cookies or Maria crackers. To do this, crumble the graham crackers and mix them with some honey and melted butter to make a dough. Once the dough is ready, put it in a mold and flatten it well to form the base. Put the base in the fridge and prepare the cream cheese and the caramel sauce.
How many cookies do I need for the bottom of the cake?
If you buy them, you’ll need at least 200 grams, but it depends on how thick you want the cheesecake bars. If you want a very thick bottom, you’ll need more cookies.
The cream cheese and cream need to be very cold at the time you make the cheesecake. bars
Find more sweet recipes
- Vegan gluten free banana bread
- Chocolate chip cookies gluten free recipe
- Sourdough banana bread (gluten-free recipe)
- Gluten-free zucchini bread
- Glutn-free oatmeal cookies
- Gluten free cookies with nuts
- Glutenfree caramel and chocolate bars
- Gluten-free Sourdough lemon cake