Delicious cookies with chocolate chips, easy and gluten free recipe! Enjoy some chocolate chip cookies for breakfast. Ultimate American Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe! Chewy, delicious and come out perfect every time!
I’m always looking for new chocolate chip cookie recipes and by testing I’ve come up with the ultimate chocolate chip cookie recipe. Today I bring you American style chocolate cookies but gluten free version!
These chocolate cookies are soft on the inside, crunchy on the outside and with the melted chocolate they are a delight, they are spectacular!
TIPS for the best chocolate cookies
Here are some tips to make your chocolate cookies perfect
- Pecan nuts
Adding nuts enhances the flavor of the cookie and adds a very crunchy texture to the cookie. Pecans work especially well in this recipe.
- Melted or softened butter
Some people say it’s better to use soft butter instead of melted butter. I’ve tried this recipe both ways and it turned out well both ways. So you can do what works best for you by either melting it or softening it at room temperature.
- Chocolate bar
You don’t have to buy chocolate chips for the cookies. You can also use dark baking chocolate and cut it into pieces. It’s much cheaper to use chocolate bars than chocolate chips (at least where I live).
Check out how easy it’s to prepare this cookies recipe
Cookies with chocolate chips gluten free recipe
All the ingredients to bake these cookies with chocolate chips
- Butter. I used lactose-free and unsalted butter. You can use regular butter but I do not recommend using margarine or vegetable butter because the texture of the cookie will be different (you will get a sponge-like texture and not so crunchy).
- Sugar. You will need white sugar and brown or cane sugar. If you don’t have brown sugar you can use only white sugar but the texture and color of the cookie will be a little different (but it will be just as good).
- Egg. You can use an M or L egg for this recipe. The egg is used to bind the dough and give it homogeneity.
- Gluten-free flour. I used white rice flour. You can also use a commercial gluten-free flour blend. If you want to make the recipe WITH GLUTEN you can use wheat flour or all-purpose flour.
- *If you use baking flour, the cookie will have a rather spongy texture because the baking flour blend usually contains some yeast. To prevent the dough from rising with this type of flour, don’t add the baking powder specified in the recipe.
- Chocolate . You can use chocolate chip cookies or a bar of dark chocolate for desserts or melting.
- Baking soda (optional)
- Salt, honey and vanilla sugar or vanilla extract. To give more flavor to the cookies.
- Salt flakes for light sprinkling (optional, but gives the cookies a brutal touch).
If you want to make these cookies with gluten, use wheat flour or all-purpose flour instead of rice flour.
Tip: Use a chocolate bar and chop it with a knife instead of buying chocolate chips. It’s much cheaper to use chocolate bars than chocolate chips (at least where I live).
Step by step to make these cookies with chocolate chips
*The preparation of these chocolate cookies is very simple: can be summarized as mixing all the ingredients in a bowl and forming the cookies.
First, melt the butter in a saucepan (and heat it until it melts) or in the microwave (carefully until the butter melts).
Once the butter is melted, put the butter, egg, white sugar and brown sugar in a bowl. Mix the ingredients well and add honey, salt, flour, and baking powder.
Chop the chocolate into very small pieces and add the chocolate to the batter.*You can use chocolate chips if you want.
*To give the cookies more flavor and a crunchier texture, add some chopped pecans to the batter (totally optional).
Mix the dough a bit and when the chocolate is fully incorporated, shape the cookies and place them on a tray. You can use a spoon to serve the dough (as seen in the video).
Bake the cookies for about 13 minutes at 180ºC in a preheated oven. Every oven is different, so it’s best to bake the cookies until they’re golden brown on the edges.
If you bake them too long, the cookies will get hard. It’s best to bake them for 12-13 minutes, then take the tray out of the oven and let the cookies finish baking and settle on the tray itself (since it’s still hot). Let the cookies cool and enjoy!
Can you freeze the dough?
Yes, you can freeze the raw dough, you don’t have to freeze the baked cookies. You can freeze the raw dough in the form of balls. When you want to bake the cookies, you just have to take the balls out of the freezer, let them thaw for a while and then bake them at 180ºC for about 13-15 minutes.
*If you put them in the oven while they’re still cold/frozen, they’ll need more baking time.
Can the vanilla essence be replaced with another ingredient?
Yes, you can use vanilla sugar or replace it with honey. The vanilla essence is completely optional, but it gives them a delicious vanilla flavor.
If you don’t have cups, here is the equivalence between cups and ml
1 cup =250 ml
1/2 cup =125 ml
1/3 cup = 80 ml
1/4 cup = 60 ml
1/8 cup = 30 ml
1 tablespoon = 15 ml
1/2 tablespoon= 7,5 ml
1 teaspoon = 5 ml
1/2 teaspoon = 2,5 ml
1/4 teaspoon = 1,25 ml
How many cookies I get from this recipe
The quantities are for one baking sheet, so about 10-12 cookies, but that may vary depending on the size of the cookies. If you make them too big, you’ll get fewer cookies. If you want more cookies, you can simply double the recipe
Doubling the amount will make about 20 cookies, here are the ingredients for double batch;
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup + 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 cups +2/3 cup rice flour
- 1 whole chocolate bar (and if you want a little more)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (optional)
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 or 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar or vanilla extract
If you’ve leftover dough, you can freeze it into balls and bake the cookies another day.
Find more sweet recipes
- Sourdough banana bread (gluten-free recipe)
- Gluten-free zucchini bread
- Glutn-free oatmeal cookies
- Gluten free cookies with nuts
- Glutenfree caramel and chocolate bars
- Gluten-free Sourdough lemon cake